Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cubby's - Hackensack, NJ - Review

Like many others in the area, I was and still am looking for a decent BBQ joint.  This place did not fit the bill, at least not for me.  I was very hopeful after reading some yelperviews and the place was packed when we got there.  I soon found out the wait of 20 minutes was more to the fact that there are not many tables, none the less, people were coming and going, picking up and ordering out, so I thought, maybe we have a winner.
The menu was vast, but in my eyes missing a bunch of BBQ, from which you would expect to be at a BBQ joint.  Now I am not a BBQ expert, aficionado or anything like that but, NO cornbread and NO sausages?  Correct me if I am wrong but having been down south they kind of seem like staples to me.   Anyhow, we are called and go straight to the counter to order shortly after, I mean like almost fast food timing, we are called for our food.
1/2 rack with mashed potatoes.  My wife gobbled down the 1/2 rack and I could see they were tender since they fell off the bone.  I think I saw a nice smoke ring on them, but don't quote me.  The mashed were bland and pasty...I think someone forgot to add butter, cream and salt.  They were simply O.K after I seasoned them with the salt and pepper at the table.
Rib-eye Steak Sandwich with onions, mushrooms and cheese, along with a side of onion rings and mac & cheese.  The rib-eye along was cooked well and very tender, but it was about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slapped on garlic bread.  I really thought it would have been thin sliced, since there is a decent amount of chunky fat in the rib-eye (which is why it's so tender and flavorful).  However, you don't want to bite into a large chunk of gristle on a sandwich, it doesn't sit well.  I pulled it off the bread and ate it separately with the mush and onion since the garlic bread did nothing to enhance the sandwich.  By the way, the bread was nearly twice the size of the steak.  The onion rings were actually pretty good, they could have been sprinkled with salt at the end, but they were crunch and cooked to a nice golden brown.  The mace & cheese, jeesh, can't anyone get this right.  The only part worth eating was the layer just under the cheddar cheese melted on top.  Again, everything else was bland. "0" flavor.  I think they ran out of salt in this place.
All in all.......I would not go back, especially for the $54.00 dollar bill I got for what I can only construe as your average  BBQ
Many will probably disagree with my review, but I write what I eat and I wouldn't eat there again. The two stars are simply there since my onion rings were good and my wife said the ribs were good as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment