Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tutta Pasta Review - Hoboken, NJ

My in-laws go here quite a bit and they finally wrangled me into going down for a bite.  Nice atmosphere, but couldn't help thinking to myself that the decor was not your traditional Italian restaurant ambiance.  With that said I finally saw a sign on the wall that stated it turns into a lounge at night....ding ding ding, there you go.  Not that it’s bad, it’s actually quite nice and hip.
They brought us bread and water upon seating along with this awesome "garlic knot" thin crust pizza, for lack of a better description that was very tasty.  Service was very good and the prices were fair.  Six people with 7 apps, 5 entree’s, 4 deserts, 2 glasses of wine (they have a bar) and 2 cups of coffee about 200 bucks, I didn’t pay so I don’t know the exact amount.
Anyways on to the food we got a bunch of apps - Fried calamari - decent, nice crunch and had some flavor to the batter, Zuppa Di Clams - these were good, the sauce was light while having a hint cream to it, with a nice garlic accent, Bruschetta- these also had nice flavor without being mushy as many bruschetta tend to be, Caesar Salad - I think this was homemade, but wasn’t very good in my opinion, bland with almost no parmegiano region cheese, let’s just say it needed some help, Scallops al Fresche, hmmm how do I describe this......kind of a scallop oregonato but grilled?  There was breading of some sort but instead of searing them or putting them in the broiler they put them on a grill, which made them chewy and burnt...not good eats, they were plated over prosciutto and blanched asparagus, kind of a weird deconstructed bacon wrapped scallops and asparagus if you will.
Entrees were Chicken Marsala, which apparently is very good, though I didn’t taste any, Pasta Primavera which my mother in-law enjoys and only orders there, Fettuccine with sausage and broccoli rabe, which my wife had and although a little bland, I thought the sausage at least had flavor.  I had the special, Gnocchi Della Nona, gnocchi with ricotta, mozzarella with a meat sauce.   This was not very good, the place boasts homemade pasta, which I can see and taste from both the gnocchi and the fettuccine, and the homemade pastas WERE good, but then they go and put processed mozzarella over the gnocchi????? Why not fresh??? This I really didn’t understand and the sauce just wasn’t good which I had high hope for since the sauce in the calms was so flavorful.
Deserts were eh, what claimed to be Chocolate Soufflé was simply chocolate cake, the chocolate mousse was good and rich, the crème brule was the wrong consistency, lumpy instead of smooth and the crystalized sugar was not crunchy but had a honey like texture.

All in all, not terrible but not excellent either, I guess I give it a solid O.K
here is the link if interested:
http://www.tuttapastanj.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment